For everything there is a season

Monday, October 17, 2011

My Forty Friends

Recently Joel and Daniel decided it was time for me to put into practice some of the things I have been learning.  So they have given me the responsibility of 40 head of cattle.  I am really excited about this new job! 

We are grazing the herd on a two-day rotation pattern on some rental property down the road.  Every two days I go over and move the herd into their new section of pasture. Then I take up the portable fence that is no longer in use from their old section and I set it up for the next move, ahead of the herd.  I also move their water tank when necessary and make sure the mineral box stays full.  

It has been a learning experience to calculate the new sections of pasture.  I am giving the herd about an acre for two days.  One day I made their section a little too small,  oops!  They were hungry and ready to move when I pulled up at chore time.  It is kind of like having your dinner two hours late.....not a happy camper!  Thankfully they forgave me and started chomping on the fresh "salad bar" as soon as they got to it.


Enjoy life, and don't let the weeds get in your way!

No comments: