For everything there is a season

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finishing Off -- Sweet!

The sap is flowing well and we have made over four gallons of syrup so far!  I think it's exciting to go out and gather sap from the collection buckets every couple of days ...one of life's simple pleasures.

Having a safe system for boiling down the sap water is extremely important and I've found some great resources around the farm.  The most critical piece of equipment is the evaporation pan.  The pan I'm using is the one Daniel had for his maple syrup production some years ago.

These pictures are from last Saturday when I made about two and a half gallons of "sugary goodness".


This is the set-up I have for boiling sap.

The pan is full and starting to heat up!

We boiled off about 75 gallons of water the day I took this picture.

Steam coming off the pan with the firewood in the background.

 I finish the syrup inside on the stove where I have more control over the temperature.

Two jars filled with the final product.

The day's work yielded over two and a half gallons! Pancakes here we come!!!

2 comments:

Emillie Blair said...

Looks like fun! We didn't make any syrup this year but we found over 25 trees to tap at our new house so we'll be getting a lot next year!

Unknown said...

Was able to help with sugaring for the first time this year, which came later than most years here in Wisconsin, but it was one of the best flows!